The Bridgeport that I didn't move into my basement because it was too big, weighed around 2200lbs. The Comet weighs around 3,200lbs. Not to mention it was far too large to go through the doorways. In order to move it, I had to dissasemble it.. Luckily, the dissasembly was pretty straightforward and I was able to use a pallete jack/crane to assist.
|Knee and headstock assembly closer together than usual!||The ways are lined with some kind of plastic - I'm told that as long as they're lubricated, the plastic won't wear out.|
|The table looks lonely!||When I removed the table, I thought, incorrectly, that I'd be able to slide the read-head out of the scale. Luckily, it "only" cost $265 for new read head. Uck!|
|That's Zeke. Zeke and one other guy helped me move the main casting down into the basement. It was pretty uneventful except when my cheap Chinese chain hoist locked up and it wouldn't go up or down...||My engine hoist is my friend!|
|Another 6" or so of space would have been really nice.||A week or so later, I got around to hoisting the mill upright. I was kind of nervous about doing this but it actually went very smoothly.|
|There's my crappy 2-ton hoist, after I rebuilt the clutch. The 2x2 1/4" wall steel tubing is supported by the main beams to my house.|
|Now I just have to put all the pieces together.|
Return to the Virtual Smidgescape Return to the 928 Pages Return to the Machine Shop Return to Comet